South Australia

Promoting the rights of people with disability, who require a companion, to fair ticketing at events and venues

Search Suburb or Postcode

Service type (eg. theatre)

Where can I use my card?
The Strathalbyn and District Heritage Centre is in the former police station (built 1858) and courthouse (added in 1867). Features include several rooms set out in the style of the Victorian era, a room reflecting changes in health care over the years, and a courtyard with very high stone walls. From the courtyard, one can access the three jail cells. Displays in the recently refurbished courtroom focus upon the lives of the original inhabitants and upon the settlers who first came to the district. The Scottish influence is emphasised. Read more...

Additional Information

  • Type/Category Museum
  • Street Address 1 Rankine Street
  • Suburb Strathalbyn
  • State South Australia
  • Postcode 5255
  • Phone Number (08) 8536 2656
Wednesday, 07 March 2018 23:41

ACE Open

ACE Open provides transformative contemporary art experiences for artists and audiences from its CBD art space in Adelaide, South Australia.

As South Australia’s flagship contemporary art gallery, ACE Open presents a year-round program of free exhibitions by practicing South Australian, Australian and international artists. Its exhibitions, talks and events are held at its Lion Arts Centre home in the west end of the city.

Additional Information

  • Type/Category Museums
  • Street Address North Terrace (west End)
  • Suburb Kaurna Yarta
  • State South Australia
  • Postcode 5000
  • Phone Number 61 8 8211 7505
Wednesday, 22 November 2017 03:06

Kingston National Trust Museum

The museum features many pioneer items connected with local history including ship wreck artefacts.

The museum displays many examples of household items used by early settlers including kitchen and laundry memorabilia, telephones and typewriters as well as agricultural equipment, saddlery and horse drawn vehicles, tractors and small engines. There is also a small collection of Aboriginal artefacts and a display telling the story of the fishing industry, one of Kingston’s principle trades from the 19th century. In addition, there are interesting examples from the bark tanning industry, unique to this area from the 1870s when black wattle bark was collected and ground into powder to tan leather.

The ship wreck display includes one of the most significant items in the museum’s collection, the 8 foot anchor from the Margaret Brock, the coastal trading ship that was wrecked on its way to Melbourne from Port Adelaide in 1852 after striking an offshore reef south of Guichen Bay. The reef is now known as the Margaret Brock Reef.

Additional Information

  • Type/Category Museums
  • Street Address 23 Cooke Street
  • Suburb Kingston
  • State South Australia
  • Postcode 5275
  • Phone Number (08) 8767 2033
Wednesday, 22 November 2017 03:02

Olivewood

A 1880s wooden-floored log cabin house originally designed for the Chaffey brothers.

Designed as a log cabin for Canadian Charles Chaffey, younger brother of George and WB Chaffey who established the pioneering irrigation and fruit growing area of Renmark, this 1880s wooden-floored house is furnished from this period. The property remains a working orangery and the orchard is fully operational, including its famous olive trees.

The original olive oil processing shed behind the log cabin now houses some of the National Trust collection of artefacts and photographs. Nearby there is also a packing shed constructed in American style c1890 with a large overhead loft. It houses a citrus and dried fruit packing plant and associated items. Much of the museum collection has been moved into a newly constructed shed in the car park.

Additional Information

  • Type/Category Museums
  • Street Address Corner, Renmark Avenue (Sturt Highway) and Twenty-first Streets
  • Suburb Renmark
  • State South Australia
  • Postcode 5341
  • Phone Number (08) 8586 6175
Wednesday, 22 November 2017 01:26

Mount Laura Station

The Mount Laura Station houses the Gay Street Cottage, garden, various buildings and vehicles.


Mount Laura Homestead Museum:  The Museum consists of the Station Homestead (constructed in 1922) a 9 room homestead filled with artefacts and information about Whyalla’s past.  Each room focuses on a different theme, with the front room filled with photographs from the beginnings of Hummock Hill/Whyalla.  Other rooms feature information and memorabilia about industry, education, businesses and sporting history.

The Gay Street Cottage & Wash House, rescued from demolition and transported to the site in 1976 from its original location at the foot of Hummock Hill, is filled with domestic items from the 1900’s which highlight progress in domestic life from the beginning of the 20th Century.

Whyalla Gaol, built in 1914 has been transported from the corner of McBryde Terrace and Jamieson Street to Mount Laura Homestead Museum for preservation.

The Nicolson and Lions Engine Sheds display historical machinery including stationary engines from the past that assisted in the pastoral and industrial development of this region.

The Blacksmith Shop contains equipment once used by Broken Hill Proprietary Limited.  Thanks to Mr Brian Barber, National Trust Member of some 30 years, who purchased the equipment and kindly allows its display and use to demonstrate the importance of this technology from the past.

Brian Barber Harness Shed is filled to capacity with examples of early modes of transport. Mr Barber’s private collection of horse drawn carriages provides an extensive picture of the history of the movement of people and goods as well as the distance issues faced by past generations.

Telecommunications Museum houses an extensive collection of items from Electra House transferred when the King William Street facility was dismantled.  A joint venture between the National Trust of South Australia, Whyalla Branch and the Whyalla City Council it features exhibits from the Overland and East West Telegraph construction from 1872 and 1877.  In 2015 the Museum was extended to house the history of telecommunications on the Eyre Peninsula as well as examples of the evolution of Australia’s communication networks.

Steam Train & Ore Truck were transferred from Broken Hill to Hummock Hill by BHP in 1902. The Steam Train was in service until 1962 bringing ore from the Iron Knob Mines on the company tram line.

Additional Information

  • Type/Category Museums
  • Street Address Ekblom Street 5608
  • Suburb Whyalla Norrie
  • State South Australia
  • Postcode 5608
  • Phone Number (08) 8645 4213
Page 1 of 6